atom feed15 messages in com.mulberrytech.lists.xsl-listRE: [xsl] Scope of uniqueness of gene...
FromSent OnAttachments
Vladimir NesterovskyNov 20, 2008 3:41 am
Colin AdamsNov 20, 2008 3:50 am
David CarlisleNov 20, 2008 4:01 am
Michael KayNov 20, 2008 4:03 am
Vladimir NesterovskyNov 20, 2008 4:50 am
David CarlisleNov 20, 2008 4:55 am
Florent GeorgesNov 20, 2008 4:56 am
Vyacheslav SedovNov 20, 2008 5:10 am
David CarlisleNov 20, 2008 5:12 am
David CarlisleNov 20, 2008 5:16 am
Florent GeorgesNov 20, 2008 6:03 am
Vladimir NesterovskyNov 20, 2008 8:52 am
Michael KayNov 20, 2008 9:05 am
John SnelsonNov 20, 2008 9:12 am
Subject:RE: [xsl] Scope of uniqueness of generate-id()
From:Michael Kay (mi@saxonica.com)
Date:Nov 20, 2008 9:05:41 am
List:com.mulberrytech.lists.xsl-list

Until today I was thinking that xslt functions have no side effects (provided extensions are not considered). It has turned out that this is not correct. That changes the picture (at least for me). Many possible optimizations are not safe.

Yes, you will find this discussed in the XQuery formal semantics, I believe.

It's a very limited kind of side-effect - but it does have to be taken into account by an optimizer.